Sunday 28 June 2009

4-7th June 200miles in 4 days...and decision time


Sadly on 2/6/09 I had a devastating call from the Doctor in the Hosptal where my Mum had been for 2 weeks. The pneumonia wasn't responding to treatment, and terminal cancer had been found. Thankfully we got her home and she died peacefully with 4 of her children present on 10th June. I cycled the London to Paris trip not long after my Dad had died, and when I felt in discomfort I thought about him. These 4 days made me realise I CAN do this LEJOG trip, and Mum will pull me through if I'm struggling

Thursday 4/6/09 A new route for me! Headed east past Grafton Underwood & Brigstock - passing through Deene & north of Corby returning via Pipwell & Rushton. A lovely ride in good warm conditions
35m 2h18m at 15.2mph

Friday 5/6/09 With 150 miles planned for the weekend I did the Lamport route to make up the miles. With was comfortable & reasonable pace considering some tiredness in my legs.
18m 1h11m 15.3mph.
That evening headed off to Dovercourt Campsite in Harwich

Saturday 6/6/09 the Tour de Tendring. After a comfortable night I set off in high winds to the start up the road. met up with Will and we headed off. Conditons were quite tough especially along the Clacton Seafront. Again Will kindly took 'point' as we battled against the stiff breeze. This was an excellent route with a few hills and we finished strongly.
48m 3h8m at a good 15.1mph considering the wind.

Sunday 7/6/09 The Norwich 100 I again camped in Ruby ready for the early start at 0720 at the Town hall. Again it was windy with a stiff south-easterly blowing. We shot out of Norwich with the wind on our backs. The heavens opened as we approached Cromer & I always knew it'd be a tough stretch downn that long coast. Lunch at Sheringham school was packed with wet cyclists and restarting in the cold wet conditions was hard. Along the coast road into wind/rain I stuck behind two large Coppers on mountain bikes! Finally we turned west agin & I was suprised how good my legs felt as I flew back into Norwich again. Once I found Ruby some dry clothes/baked beans/nuts/coffee were most welcome.
98m 6h21m at 15.2mph!

I'd done it! 200 miles in 4 days. Although obviously tired it was achieved moderately easily.

No comments: