Monday 17 August 2009

16/8/09 Woodcote Southern Sportive 82 miles


Final big 'workout' before the off. Chosen as it is known as a 'tough' route as it crosses the Chilterns back & forth several times. Some real calf busting lung testing steep buggers too!

Slept in ruby ip the road by the Thames allowing me to get to start early & get going. The usual 'flock' of lycra clad loonies murmuring quietly in anticipation of the challange ahead. This distance matches the 'average' daily mileage I'll need to keep to, and with 5000ft of climbing replicates many of our days.

Sunny & warm we all shot off mainly down hill the first few miles. Soon we were out into the great expanse of the magnificent Oxfordshire countryside. Along the way we came across some large combine harvesters...some quite suddenly!

A few miles in a fella asked how I was..."You OK Clive?" What? I assumed he'd read my name on my helmet but in fact it was a fellow LEJOGer Stuart. He's been on the lookout for a bloke in red, on a blue bike..and the only bike with a rear mudguard!! as spotted in the blog picture.

We took a steady pace. The hills were very steep both ways with some difficult descents too. These tended to be from bright sunshine into dark woods with loose gravel (I HATE GRAVEL!!) and speckled shadows making it hard to spot the treacherous pot holes. The UK roads are generally rubbish, and very hazardous...from a cyclist point of view.

It got hotter & harder but I was ok until the last 10 miles or so as my feet & neck ached. In all I took on over 4 litres of fluid as the sweat flowed!

This quickly recovered once finished & after a good cup of tea.

The bike performed well and in the last couple of weeks before the off I'll be doing mainly short sharp rides. Also to get bike serviced, buy a few spares & get packed up.

Fundraising takes centre stage......
82.5m 5h31m at 14.9mph 4980ft of climb!

No comments: