Monday 3 August 2009

3/8/09 four weeks to go!


2/8/09 Well 4 weeks to go!
due to accident & holiday I feel a little behind in my training.
Over the next 14 days I plan to ride each day with organised rides on Sun 9th (Suffolk Coast 60m) and Sun 16th (Woodcote 82m). Plan is to get up to 400 miles in the next 2 weeks...
...need to get the sponsorship publicity going.
14/8/09 Friday
Frustrating unwanted rest day due to work commitments/lack of time. Duty doc in pm so home too late to get out as was a bit gloomy. Dont want to risk having an accident at this late stage.
Pleased with article in paper - reporter did well to summarise alot of my woffle into a concise 'story' Justgiving site starting to attract some sponsorship - many thanks.
13/8/09 Thursday
Calm sunny evening so decided to do 30 miles at easy pace. Headed out through Rothwel, Harrington to Kelmarsh, then up the A508 nearly to Market Harborough. Once the Garmin said 15m I turned back. With the light wind at my back and altitude attained I flew back at good speed. Legs feel stronger - I really feel that I am attaining some fitness!
15.7 58m16s at 16.2mph
12/8/09 Wednesday rest day (no choice!)
slept all morning after a night shift. Got pictures taken by local paper ar 1230 (thanks Alison). Spent afternoon trying out various new cars & worked early evening, so no opportunity to get out
11/8/09 Tuesday
Squeezed a quick pylon ride in between work, and going to see Kettering draw 1-1 with Oxford Utd. Exiting end-to-end stuff but spoilt by useless clueless referee. In the end draw is a good result. Felt strong at finish of ride. Doing night duty tonight & busy into the evening so may be a rest day tomorrow. Might get on turbotrainer in garden
12.25m 44m @ 16.6mph
10/8/09 Rest Day
Felt tired after those rides plus short of time so decided a rest day was necessary.
9/8/09 Sun - Suffolk Coast Ride.
Up at 0700. Lovely sunny morning. 9 miles to the start. set off along with several hundered others. Suprisingly there are alot of undulations in Suffolk! Some picturesque villages, and a general Olde feel to the area - like most of Britain would have been 100 years ago. I diverted off to look at the Russian Doll chrches in Cove Hithe, along with the road to nowhere! It disappears off a high cliff. Spoke to an old locall bloke who told me there was once a bungalow out there!!! - now 300y out to sea. Looking South I could see Southwold pier, & Sizewell in the distance. Feeling hungry & was grateful for a portion of chips at Southwold pier! Lovely setting, one of my favourite seaside towns. Heading south in the increasing heat I was back at the campsite by 1330 and fantastic Cup of Tea! Had another rear puncture 10 miles out, & managed to switch tubes pretty quickly this time. [Kettering FC won 1st game of season!!]
59.8m 3h50m @ 15.6mph
plus 18.4m @14.5 to & from start - 214m in 7 days
8/8/09 Sat
We all headed out to a great camspite past Woodbridge in Suffolk ready for the 'Suffolk Coast' ride tomoorow. As it was a beautiful evening I headed off to see the Orford castle. I remember seeing this when we had our Summer Holiday in Southold. Back in the 60's dad had done a full survey of this keep and mentioned it quite frequently. I have the drawings & will try to post, along with some photos I took. I sat on one of the cannons in the evening sunshine & could almost feel Dad's presence there - it was a peaceful place. Back for lovely Barbecue with Les John & Lucy, plus late night laser game in the woods.
18m 1h17m at sedate 14mph
7/8/09 Fri
What a contrast in weather - lovely cool sunny eavening. Got a bit carried away (chasing a hot air balloon!) and after Brigstock decided to head to Oundle! Getting there I realise I was over an hour away with less than an hour of daylight. And I missed a turning & strayed onto the A605 - quite unpleasant busy road. Shot back throght Thrapston and home at good speed
32m 2h4m at 16mph
6/8/09 Thu
Dull wet evening. Nearly stayed in but I put the gear on & headed out into the murky evening. Headed out to farpoint - up to Harrington & back via Rothwell. Had to cut ride slightly short as it was getting very dark! Despite extremely uncomfortable conditions I felt strong & back muscles seem to be slowly getting used to the punishment!
16.2m in 1h4m at 15.2mph [86m so far this week - 1500+m in 2009 average 7m EVERY day!]
5/8/09 Wed
Nearly stayed in bed but dragged myself out. Headed west past far point then up to Braybroke & home via Geddington & Cransley. Got very wet again in the middle section & pleased that I resisted the temptation to take a short cut home. Legs ok but alot of stiffness across my shoulders. Got 18 holes at Northampton GC this pm..I'm gonna be knackered..
Interestingly my average heartrate is now 135, was 150+ a few months ago
36m 2h28 at 14.6mph

4/8/09 Tue
Got home from work - grey horrible wet evening. before I could dissuade myself I jumped on the bike & did a quick pylon run. Heavy rain stining my face but glad to have the mudguards.
dashed out to see Kettering FC lose 18-20 in a charity game! [they did start 0-20 down vs a team of amateurs!!] Good entertainment & looks like a few good signings by Coops.
Day 1 four weeks today! feels very close now..
12.3m 44m33s at 16.5mph

3/8/09 Mon
Afer work set off via Rothwell, Harrington to Lamport & back via Old & bombed down the A43 with the strong wind at my back. Legs felt fresh & powerful & I got home with energy to spare (I should do after only 22m!) but the speed was good.
22.2m in 1h19m at 16.7mph

No comments: