Monday 13 July 2009

12/7/09 AAARRGGHH!! Manchester-Blackpool 'experience'


the day started well!
camped overnight in Ruby close to Joddrel Bank (allways wondered where it was!)
motored up to Old Trafford nice & early. Certainly alot of people about - this was a big one - number wise.
Met up with Darren (from L2P 07) and Phil (fellow LEJOGGER) - apparently there are 26 of us signed up!
The early part of the ride was rather urban & busy with dodgy wobbly part time 'cyclists'. Not far in we saw a rider being stretechered off after a fall. I remember a stop at Leigh Hall & the dark windy wet muddy exit road with silly barriers to slow us down (and knock one poor chap off)
Next thing I remember is........waking up in casualty (Blackpool) A doctor was asking me who the Prime Minister was "Thatcher!" I replied.....you are a bit confused Sir maybe we should do a brain scan! I agreed.
Anyway scan clear & I was rescued by my wife & driven home...the 'fog' slowly lifting as the 'whiplash' neck pain increased & stiffened.
Apparently I'd got to within 200y of the finish..the crowds were chearing us on - I briefly raised my hands Lance Armstrong style - a gust of wind & down I went with a heavy thump. Not knocked out I tried to get back on...but fortunately the ambulance crew got me on their ambulance. As yet I remember nothing of the last 20-30miles!
Grateful thanks to Phil & Darren who looked after me, and also my bike/garmin etc - which could easily have been lost in the melee.
I've woken today with a clearer head, some stiffness in upper back muscles, grazed knees/R upper thigh & the tips of a couple of fingers scraped away. Fortunately my helmet took the full force & distributed the energy so my skull didn't fracture - A real demonstration of their value - I rarely have, & will not now EVER ride without one.
I know the risk is multiplied if their is another knock so have cancelled plans for the ESSEX CASTLE and LONDON-SOUTHEND rides this weekend. It's a shame but the correct decision..I'll do alot of static trainer miles instead.

I've been lucky, and will continue to ride cautiously in the future..and on LEJOG

1 comment:

Mothyman said...

Glad you are recovering .... you'll be back !