Sunday 5 July 2009

5/7/09 Southern Sportive..wantage A tough one!


For the previous 48 hours I had been suffering with some muscular neck pains, but awoke at 0530 & set off anyway for this challenging ride. Warm & dry with a threat of showers I set off with several hundred others westard towards Swindon. Beautiful countryside and much evidence of the local activities, namely gallops & stables of the famous Lambourn trainers.
Within 4 miles two riders had collided coming down a fast stretch. Fortunately no broken bones but shortly after I hit a pot hole hard...PPPFFFFFFFSSSSSSS..... flat back tyre!
Managed to get wheel/tyre off & spare tube in.......but this was goung down slowly.... so quite a few miles on a soft tyre eventually I called for help & one of the support team brought a new one. I learned some good tips about how to efficiently do the job.
From then on tyre was OK but I'd been left behind the pack. South of Swindon we climbed up & up, then up a muscle busting 17% section. Spectacular views and then a tail wind spurred us onwardsthrough some pretty villages. I was riding with 2 fellas from London & a tubby chap from cardiff who said he was trying to get down to his ideal weight!! (No I didnt ask him)
Psychologically this felt hard. Technical problems & feeling 'behind' can sap motivation & make the legs feel worse. My neck/upper back felt sore & I contemplated short cutting home. In the event I continued, although did cut off a loop at the end.
This ride was hot hilly & a good test for me. In the end I finished (alive!) with some power in the old legs remaining - the free cup of tea (in exchange for the timing 'chip') was most welcome...and I found £10 in the road on the way. All in all an amazing ride in some spectacular terrain - it was open & spacious like say Salisbury Plain, but with sweeping hills & fields of stiff wheat & shimmering Lavender.
Think I've earned a day or two rest then build up to the short(?) 67 mile Manchester-Blackpool next Sunday.
Near the end I passed through the 1000miles on the new bike
76.9m 5h15m at 14.6mph (fastest speed 43.35mph!!!)

No comments: